FAULT IN SECURITY SYSTEM

2002 Oldsmobile Aurora • 14,800 miles

I am having some problems with my 4.0 aurora, most of the time the security light just comes on and it beeps at you and says "fault in security system" but every now and again the security light comes on and shuts down the radio, air, windows, but it will still drive perfectly fine when it does that. What does this mean and how do I fix it.
Bill540

As a preliminary, You need to see what diagnostic trouble codes are stored in all the vehicle systems. This will require a specific tester, and not just a code reader, as those are responsible for obtaining only powertrain codes. The radio/air/and windows should have nothing to do with any security function, vehicle or content theft. It does suggest a possible class 2 communications fault, as a loss of communications will cause like symptoms, and may even cause the IPC to illuminate the sucurity light. I would suspect a code check would reveal U-codes in multiple modules, confirming a possible fault in the data link. It could fit into a category of a wiring problem, a power/ground fault to a module, or a corrupt module, and may only be inter-related to the security system.

Factoryjack