WHAT CAUSES YELLOW ON OIL DIPSTICK AN A CLATTERING NOISE

2002 Oldsmobile Alero • 2WD Automatic • 150,000 miles

I currently own a 2002 alero 2.2 160,000 miles an had oil changed two weeks ago. All of a sudden last night I was hearing a clattering noise in the engine department, so, first question was to check the oil dip stick, I check it an there is yellow stuff on dip stick. No it don't over heat, or anything like it would if a head gasket was to go. My question is if my water pump goes can it cause coolant to get in with the oil? Northwest told me yeah it's a major fix an that the noise is coming from there an causing the yellow stuff to get in with oil. But then other people are telling me no, usually thats a head gasket an when that blows it won't run. Now, i've checked the coolant resivore there isnt nothing in it, went to check radiator to see how low the coolant was but due to the radiator being under front car support its not visiable where the radiator cap is, I also checked for leaks but its raining outside.
Twinkiedelight05

Water in the oil is usually a milky chocolately color. You can buy a chemical to put into the radiator to check for a bad head gasket. There is also a chemical that can be added to the oil to check for the presence of coolant.

The car will run if the head gasket is blown, unless it's really bad.

Rivermikerat
Duplicate post. See my other reply.

Rivermikerat
So why would it be yellow on the dipstick an a clattering noise being heard when ideling or driving

Twinkiedelight05
Low oil pressure could cause the noise. Lifters are hydraulic, which could accentuate a low oil condition. Lifters not pressurizing.

And I gave options for testing the oil and coolant above.

Rivermikerat