NISSAN ALMERA SENSOR PROBLEM

2002 Nissan Almera • 150,000 miles

Dear Sir / Madam,

The Cylinder head gasket was replaced on this vehicle. I am getting the following error codes:

P0325 Knock Sensor B1 Circuit
P0335 CKP Sensor Circuit

The Check Engine Light is on. I deleted the error codes, however the error codes came back. The vehicle is starting and working fine but the check engine light remains on. Kindly tell me what is causing these error codes. Thanks
Kripalu

Code numbers never identify bad parts, just failed systems.

The crank sensor code could be wiring, sensor or pcm. They all need to be checked.
325 code should dissapear when the 335 is fixed.

Dear Roy,

Thanks for responding. I am suspecting that the Crankshalf Position Sensor is good because the vehicle is starting and driving fine with the check engine light on.

Apart from the Knock & Crank Sensor wires, what other specific wires can cause the P0325 and P0335 error codes?

Can an over tight timing chain or belt cause the P0325 and P0335 error codes? That is one that is stretched beyond its specification.

Kripalu

Kripalu
Knock sensor is most probably faulty. You replaced the cylinder head due to overheating if I guessed correct and when overheating occurs, the knck sensor would usually give way.

The timing chain does not affect the crank sensor as the signal is from the crank sprocket. Either the sensor is bad or has a poor connection. Disconnect the sensor and check the terminals for contaminations.

If the Knock Sensor is faulty, Can it also set a P0335 (Crankshalf Position Sensor Circuit) error code

Kripalu
No, they should be different but you should start with one repair before proceeding to the next.

Thanks for responding.

Can you say if the Knock Sensor and the Crankshalf Position Sensor have a common ground wire?

If there is a common ground wire that is not connected properly, then that can be the fix to this particular problem.

Kripalu
No, knock sensor is a 1 wire sensor and is bolted onto cylinder block.
Cranksensor has common gruound with a few other sensors and if that is the cause, you should have more than one sensor trouble code.

This vehicle was over heating and the cylinder head gasket had to be replaced. You were correct in saying that the Knock Sensor was faulty. The Knock Sensor was replaced and the P0325 error code disappeared. Does the Knock Sensor makes changes to the timing of the engine?

At the moment, the vehicle check engine light is on and there is one error code: P0335 (Crankshalf Position Sensor Circuit). The Crankshalf Position Sensor was replaced, however the P0325 code came back and the check engine light was on again.

The vehicle is starting and driving fine. This makes it more interesting. The wiring was carefully checked. What do you recommend?

Many Thanks for your expert advise.

Kripalu

Kripalu
The knock sensor is to inform the engine computer (PCM) if the ignition timing is too advanced and the PCM would then retard the ignition timing to prevent the engine from pinging.

When replacing the cylinder head, the crank sensor relustor gear on the crankshaft could have been affected. If you have checked the wirings (were the wiring circuit tested for continuty to thePCM?) And found no problem, the mechanical side should be looked at.

What did you do with the timing chain when head was replaced? Was it removed or left in block?

The ignition timing was out by one tooth. This was the solution to the P0325 error (Crankshalf Position Sensor Circuit). On resetting the engine timing, the Check Engine Light disappeared.

Can a Scanner set the ignition timing? Is this possible? Thanks for all your comments. It was very helpful indeed.

Kripalu

Kripalu
Page 1 of 2