ENGINE STALLS AND STARTS AGAIN AFTER COOLING DOWN

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320

Hi,

I have been driving in the highway and the engine stalled and I had to pull over. Called the towing company but before the arrived, I was able to restart the engine (approximately after 20-30 min). Then I drove again and 10 min later the engine stalled again. When it cooled down, I was able to restart the engine. So it happened 3 times before I got home. The next morning the engine started with no problem but I did not risk driving.

What could be the cause?

Thank you
Manmtl

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Thank you for your expert advice. You were absolutely right. It turns out to be the crank sensor. Apparently it is a very common problem in the ML320 series.

Manmtl
Your welcome-Thanks on the comeback with the CPS