IM BUYING SIDE SKIRTS, REAR LIP AND A METAL SPOILER. I WANT TO SAND AND PAINT IT MYSELF... WHAT SHOULD I DO? WHAT STEPS SHOULD I FOLLOW?

2002 Mazda Protege • 92,000 miles

Im buying side skirts, rear lip and a metal spoiler. I want to sand and paint it myself... What should I do? What steps should I follow?

Here are the parts I am getting from this car.

Spoiler
Rear lip
side skirts
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/120205/665r1/7952gfc_20.jpeg

I just purchased these Items

Spray paint cans:

2x 12 oz Aerosol Spray Paint, 2002 Mazda Protege: Sparkling Silver Metallic 24E
12 oz Aerosol High Gloss Clear Coat
12 oz Aerosol Grey Sandable Acrylic Lacquer Primer

Also Which grit sand paper should I use to remove the existing paint off the parts? Which grit after priming the parts? How/When to wet sand & grit?

Please be as detailed as possible because it is my first time.

Thank you

Jperera

The parts already have good original factory finish on them?

Fixitmr
Yeah the are Mazda factory products. I want to match it with the color of my car.

Jperera
Hey, I own the same frickin cordless drill in picture!

Fixitmr
Lol nice. So any thoughts on my question?

Jperera
Unless there is damaged paint on parts, I wouldn't do any priming paint. Just 600 wet sand and get some adhesion promoter spray at auto store use that first then color and clear and make sure clear has UV protection in it or sun will destroy finish. If you have no painting experience you may want to buy some other/same paint and practice on some similar surface like your old parts.

Fixitmr
So I don't need to take the existing paint off? What does the adhesion promoter spray do?

If I decide to take the old paint off Which sand paper do I use?

Jperera
I forgot to ad use 1000 grit to sand color coats before clear is applied. You should seek out paint advice on the internet as it's way to detailed to go into here for an absolute beginner. It's not really that hard which is why I said do some practice first.

Fixitmr
Much more work and trouble to go down to bare surface? WHY do you insist on doing that? Since for 1, you have no experience?

Fixitmr
I just want it to have a good finish. Since it is my first time doing it thats why im not taking it lightly. I dont mind the extra work at all.

Jperera
Thanks for you advise.

I'm thinking of starting out with 400 to remove the paint then 600 - 800 to smooth it out then Prime the parts then 1,000-grit paper with a wet-sand technique between coats. A final clear coat finished with 1,000- or 2,000-grit wet sanding.

Jperera
Page 1 of 2