SELECTOR SWITCH DOES NOT DIVERT AIR TO FLOOR VENTS

2002 Mazda MPV • 100,000 miles

All the other settings in the climate control panel work, but setting the mode to any of the floor ducts doesn't work. Could be broken cable or jammed air floor door? How can I diagnose without disassembling the dashboard? Is there a way to reach the air flow door or see the cables without disassembling the heater case?
Gene Gardner

I have researched your problem. The vent doors are cable operated. You may have one disconnected, looses, broken, something blocking the vent door.

I have attached the trouble shooting directions from Mazda for your review. As far a diagnosos without removing the dash, you should be able to hear the vent doors open and close. The air flow door cables / wiring will be both in and outside the system.

For some reason, the directions didn't send. I changed their format to try again.

Thanks for the information. I will try to diagnose it given your instructions.

Gene Gardner
Let me know how you make out with it. While you review the directions I sent, I will try to find a picture of the unit itself. I haven't had much luck yet. The directions are from Mazda, so they should be very accurate.

That looks like it.