CRANK SHAFT SENSOR

2002 Kia Sedona • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 137,000 miles

Enter your question. On Sat as I was driving my van just stoped running while at a stop light. I started right back up and drove about a block to the next light where it again died. However this time it took a few tries and minutes before it would restart and this time the engine light remained on. So I drove right to my local kia dealership and they ran a code check and it showed a code which was crank shaft sensor. I was told by the dealership that a van with 140,000 miles and over 9 years old can have this issue.

1. Is this true, is that kind of miles and age about when this sensor would begin to fail?
2. What does this sensor do and why does the engine shut off?

They told me that to repair it was a bit expensive due to it's location. They asked me if I have had my timing belt replaced. I told them I have an appointment with then in 2 weeks to get that belt changed. They suggested that if possible don't drive the van for the next two weeks and have all the work done then as it would save me money. They said to replace both timeing belt and serpentine belt and the Crank Shaft sensor would run me about $700.

3. So does that seem like a fair price for all the labor and parts involved to do such work?
Dn4192

Sensors can fail any time and with the mileage on your vehicle, I would say it is a rather good lifespan.

The sensor is to inform the engine computer that the engine is turning and without it working correctly, the engine would not start.

The price is reasonable for the job and parts to be replaced.

Sensor is electronic so it can fail anytime. Sensor sends crankshaft position to computer for firing of sparkplugs so when it fails engine stops. And $700 is good price for T belt and sensor.

Docfixit