STARTS, VIBRATES, DIES

2002 Kia Optima • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 133,000 miles

Alright so I bought a 2002 Kia Optima 2.4L for cheap cause it was broke, the timing belt broke and all valves got bent, so I installed reman. Head and timing belts, everything is timed perfect including balance shaft, got a tune up, oil change, new cmp sensor but still when all back together, starts for ab 3 seconds, vibrates excessively (like a electric toothbrush on steroids) then dies every time even with map sensor, maf sensor or cmp sensor unplugged (1 at a time) im pretty sure its throwin a code, will have it scanned tomoro. Any ideas of what I need to check
Bobarezo

Also when I got the car, the three wires that plug into the cmp (camshaft position) sensor are wired directly, idk what order they need to be in and the engine balancer shaft belt was missing, so either someone already looked took it out of someone left it out a while back, if the shaft was somehow messed up and causing vibration, what would leaving the balance shaft belt off do?

Bobarezo
You will have to clear all codes and do a re start and report what fresh codes are set.

Mhpautos
The attached diagram shows the wiring circuit. Hope it is helpful.

Thank you for the diagram!
Is the crankshaft position sensor more important than the camshaft position sensor?

Bobarezo
Both are equally important as each has its own own duties.

Ok, scanned it, codes p0340 (CMP sensor bank 1) and p0118 (coolant temp high output) were on there twice, which makes since to why both radiator fans come on as soon as its started and the wiring is wrong on the CMP sensor, well I cleared them and started the car and they came back, but just the cmp sensor not working wouldnt make the motor vibrate so bad that the engine basicly knows to shut off, when it starts for the 3 seconds I can gas it to get the rpms up to ab 4k before it shuts off again

Bobarezo
Does anyone know what order the wires to the CMP sensor need to be in from top to bottom, theres a black ground wire, a black signal wire with a few dashes on it, and a pinkish hot wire

Bobarezo
Ive done some research and now im pretty sure its the front balance shaft that is drivin off the oil pump pulley, it can be 180 degrees off and still register as being in time

Bobarezo
The faulty CMP would cause difficult starting and erratic idling and stalling.

The above wiring diagram shows the order of the CMP wires.

Ok but even leaving all the wires unplugged from the CMP sensor, the car starts and does the same thing

Bobarezo
Page 1 of 4