02 3.7 L- 6 CYL

2002 Jeep Liberty • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 107,000 miles

HI Folks'
Here's the problem. A few weeks ago I got a P0306 error- #6 cylinder misfire. I changed the plugs and discovered that #6 had oil above the threads and seemed to have more gunk on the end than the others.

I let it run for a few weeks (didn't notice any colored smoke or smelly exhaust but I don't drive it, it's my daughters car).
After a few weeks, same problem- Idles choppy at redlights, oil on plug, #6 was dirtier than all other plugs.

I did a compression test and all cylinders were 190-220 psi except #6. It was 270 psi.
Checked fuel injector signal with noid light. It's ok. Checked resistance of ignition coils.
Primary - approx 14 ohms.
Secondary -7-9 K.

Grounded the plug and checked for spark on all. They looked ok, but not fantastic.

I decided to remove the valve cover and when I pulled the oil filler tube off to get it out of the way, I noticed a bit of light goo in the bottom of the filler tube.

Also, my daughter complained that there was intermittent heat and when I removed the coolant reservoir and pulled the heater core lines off, there was no anti freeze in them. I also tried to drain the radiator but nothing came out. Not sure if it's just a clogged petcock or not. Last time it ran, the temp gauge was fine.

I thought my next step would be to check the intake valve seal or intake gasket but now I'm thinking head gasket or warped head. The compression test is throwing me off though.
Where do I go from here?
Thanks very much for your help.
Bob

Mulliganstein

270psi on no.6 sounds like excessive carbon on this cylinder-

What would cause excessive carbon in the cylinder? And do you think there is water in my oil?

Mulliganstein
I "donated" 20 bucks for that lame answer. Thanks for nothing.
How about a refund

Mulliganstein
I have notified your technician that you still need help. We are supposed to follow up with your question until we solve the problem. Your donation is totally appreciated, but if we can't help you, we will return it in full. Your expert will follow up with you today, I apologize for the delay.

2CarPros Mike
Mike,
Thanks for your response. I appreciate your website and will continue to donate when I have a question. I don't really need a refund and there's no need to follow through on this one as I decided to replace the engine. I think it may be a bad valve seal or problems with the head or block. Thanks for the help.
Bob

Mulliganstein
Thanks a lot Bob, we really appreciate your support. Have a great day.
Mike

2CarPros Mike