TEMPERATURE GAUGE

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 10,200 miles

The temperature gauge goes to 0 while driving, then goes back up to normal. After this happens the check engine light comes on. This happens out of no where, it starts fine, runs fine, then suddenly this happens. I recently had to replace the radiator and thermostat. Last tuesday, it happened 3 times in a row, which it never did before. I brought it back to the garage where I got the radiator fixed. They had it for 3 days and could find nothing wrong with it. I used it all weekend and nothing, today I used it and it happened again, this time it didnt reach all the way to zero before going back though. This problem started a few weeks after I got it fixed. Please help, Im afraid to drive my Jeep, its the only vehicle I have.
Tricia3233

Since the Check Engine light turned on there is going to be a diagnostic fault code in the Engine Computer. Having that read is the place to start. It will indicate a number of different things related to the coolant temperature sensor. There could be an intermittent or corroded connection on the plug, or the engine could actually be running too cold, typically due to a thermostat sticking open.

Thank you very much for a quick response. The mechanic did run a quick diagnostic when I dropped it off. I don't understand why they didnt find anything. What will happen if I keep driving it this way?

Tricia3233
If the temperature reading changes rapidly it most likely is a sensor-related problem. The engine coolant can't change actual temperature that quickly. You can drive the vehicle but the problem is when you can't trust the reading you won't know if the engine starts to overheat.

The exact fault code number may help determine the cause of the problem. Chrysler makes reading them much easier than any other manufacturer. Cycle the ignition switch three times from "off to "run" within five seconds without cranking the engine, leave it in the "run" position, then watch the code numbers show up in the odometer display.

Thanks again for your help

Tricia3233