PASSENGER TAIL LIGHT DOES NOT COME ON

2002 Jeep Cherokee • 102,000 miles

Jeep grand cherokee 2002 - When stepping on the brakes, but it works fine otherwise. What can it be? ALL THE LIGHTS WORK EXCEPT FOR WHEN I STEP ON THE BRAKES THE BRIGHT RED LIGHT DOES NOT COME ON.
Williecaraballo

MY BESTUS BUDDY HAS A 2000, TAIL LIGHT/ TURN SIGNAL ISSUES.

THE BULB HOLDERS TWIST INTO THE FIXTURE ON THE REAR LIGHTS.

WE DID SOME SWAPPING AROUND OF "TWISTY HOLDERS" AND FOUND THAT THE SMALL CONTACT ON THE HOLDER HAD TO BE BENT OUT A LITTLE MORE, AND THE CIRCULAR CONTACTS ON THE FIXTURE, HAD TO BE SLIGHTLY SANDED, TO CLEAN 'EM UP---JUST FOR "INSURANCE", WE APPLIED A THIN COAT OF DIELECTRIC GREASE ON ALL CONTACT SURFACES (AVAILABLE AT A PARTS STORE, SORT LOOKS LIKE A TUBE OF SILICONE GASKET)

ALL SEEMS GOOD NOW!

YOUR TURN

OK READ YOU TOO QUICK!

LET'S LOOK AT FUSES 1ST THING....ANYTHING RELATED....READ THE COVER S OF THE BOXES FOR WHAT EACH FUSE CONTROLS

MOST LIKELY YOU ARE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THE STOPLIGHT SWITCH

SOMETIMES THEY COME LOOSE ON VEHICLES AND THE PLUNGER DOES NOT PUSH IN OR PULL OUT (DEPENDING ON THE VEHICLE) OR THE SWITCH IS JUST BAD....CHECK IT'S OPERATION. IT MAY CAN BE TESTED, I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW. JEEP CJs HAVE A SIMPLE 2 TERMINAL "OFF" AND "ON" SWITCH. YOURS HAS 6 TERMINALS AND PROBABLY ALSO CONTROLS "SHIFT INTERLOCK", STOP LIGHTS, AND MAYBE OTHER FUNCTIONS.

THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Stoplight-Switch/2002-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-4WD/_/N-jhkelZ9cias?itemIdentifier=124104_0_0_

IT'S LOCATED AT THE UPPER END OF THE BRAKE PEDAL

I NORMALLY DO NOT PROMOTE PARTS SWAPPING, WITHOUT IDENTIFYING THE PROBLEM 1ST....IF IT LOOKS TO BE INSTALLED CORRECTLY AND OPERATION LOOKS RIGHT.......WHAT THE HECK! THE PART IS LESS THAN $15, IF YOU FIX THE PROBLEM, YOU HAVE SAVED TIME AND HASSLE. IF IT DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM, YOU NOW HAVE A SPARE PART!

LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES, I CAN GET YOU WIRING DIAGRAMS, IF IT DOES COME DOWN TO TRACING THINGS OUT, OR LOOKING FOR COMPONENTS IN BETWEEN.