SANTE FE WILL NOT UNLOCK FROM PARK AFTER CHANGING THE FRONT PADS.

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe • 200,000 miles

After the brake light came on, replaced the front brake pads on 2002 Hyundai Sante Fe, 2WD. After changing the front pads the dash light is not longer on and the vehicle will not unlock to shift out of park.
GreyOwl

Check the brake lights to see if they are working. If not, check the fuses and brake switch.

Yes, brake lights work. Will replace the brake switch to see if this is the challenge.

GreyOwl
Additionally, I was just informed that it could be a selenoid in the shifter or a neutral saftety switch.

GreyOwl
If the brake lights works, no need to replace the switch. This is due to the interlock solenoid not working and not releasing the locking tab for you to shift out of park. The brake switch is part of it and since it is working, we would need to check others.

Check the fuses first.
Which engine do you have?
Is the P indicator light showing correctly when ignition switch is turned on?

I could not find any reference to the interlock system in our database and there is a possibility of it being mechanical.

I was able to pull the ride side panel off the center console. Then with a screwdriver, temporarily disengage the locking mechanism.
This vehicle has the 2.7L V6. I will need to check the shift indicator light.

GreyOwl