WHEEL ALIGNMENT TIRE QUESTION

2002 Honda Accord • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 48,000 miles

2002 Honda Accord mileage: 48,000. Six months ago, my Service Center replaced the front struts on my Accord. They did not say that a wheel alignment was necessary at that time. I now have to replace front tires that have only 7,500 miles on them because the inner tread wear was so bad that the steel belts wore through the rubber. I purchased tires and asked for the wheel alignment. Now they tell me there is no adjustment for this particular problem and suggest I rotate tires frequently. I don't believe this can be true, it sound ridiculous to me. I think maybe they used the wrong struts or something else is wrong. Can this be right?

2CarPros-Archives

The wheels can be aligned on your car, but the process is very involved on your model of Honda. The problem you are experiencing is probably toe in or toe out condition. Check the tread on your tires and see if each individual tread has a feather on the edge of the tread. This can be further verified by rubbing your hand back and forth over the tread. If you feel the edge of the tread as you move your hand one way but not the other, you have a toe in or toe out condition. A toe in or toe out condition can be easily reset by your service center.

2CarPros-Archives