WHY IS THE EMERGENCY BRAKE LIGHT COMING ON?

2002 GMC Sonoma • 180,000 miles

I have a 2002 GMC Sonoma that when I drive it somewhere, park for a few minuets, then dive off again the emergency brake light comes on and doesn't drive well. After about 2 miles down the road the truck drives normally. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Squeaks07

Are you applying park brake? Does light go off as well?

Docfixit
No I'm not applying the brake. The light comes on when I turn the truck back on and start back down the road.

Squeaks07
"does not drive well" would explain? SO (P) light on dash comes on? Does it ever go off? Feel OK backing up but like draging going forward?

Docfixit
It drives sluggish, when you get going down the road a little ways the light goes off and the truck dives normal again.

Squeaks07
Does it backup without sluggish? If yes then somehow E-brake is applied. Inspect cable maybe siezed and check rear shoes for contamination and E=brake lever for binding

Docfixit
It almost seems like the truck gets hot. I don't have it running. After I am on the road it stops acting up. That is when the light goes off, after it starts driving normal

Squeaks07
Pull drums check rears

Docfixit