OPEN DOOR LIGHT ALWAYS ON

2002 Ford Focus • 120,000 miles

Hi,
The light that tells you a door is open is on all the time. When you have all the doors closed and you open one door, the interior light goes on and when you close the door the interior light goes off. I checked all the doors, hatch inclueded (zx5).
Any idea how to knwo what is going on? I have Haynes manual and it says there is a way to tes the power door lock operating one of the door light switches but it doesnt work or I dont know how to make it work.
Thanks,
Wilson
Willysp

One of the door switches is bad. To determine, you have to gain acess to all the switches and test each one manually to determine the failure. I would start with the drivers door as it is the one used the most.

The switchs are hooked to the lock assy. When u close the door the switch turns off the light. Inspect the 2 front doors for a broken ajar switch.

Cadieman
Each door has a switch that turns on and off the interior light. This switch is located behind the "hook" that is mounted on the car chassis and where the door lock closes. After reading the second answer, I imagine these switches function is just to turn on and off the interior lights becuse the switches that activates the cluster light for " door open" are IN the lock system. Am I right? If so, how can I test those switches? Thanks,
Wilson

Willysp
Try shaking the door back and forth. Some times the switch can be heard banging around. Youll need to remove the door panel and check that the switch is still hooked to thelock assy and not in the bottom of the door. Start with the front doors.

Cadieman
Ok, so I tried to find any noise of loose part and I didnt hear nothing. I'm going to start dissasembling the drivers door but I not sure what that switch looks like. Is like a regular two cable switch? Can I try if it works with a tester? Do you know the name of that switch?
Tanks

Willysp
The switch is bolted to the lock assy. It has 2 wires the connecter is on the center of the inner door skin.U can trace it down just follow the wires to lock assy. Use a flashlight to look at the lock assy. For a loose or broken switch.

Cadieman