FORD FOCUS STEERING PROBLEM

2002 Ford Focus • 99,000 miles

Hello, and thanks reading my question. I can not turn the ignition key in my 2002 ford focus. I have tried all the usual tricks (I.E. Moving steering wheel, tapping key, wd40, etc.) And ultimately had to have it towed to a shop. The problem is, they are now saying they've spoken with the dealer, and it seems the steering column has to be replaced for 500 in parts. I can't imagine the whole thing needs to be replaced, and wod assume just the key cylinder would simply need to be replaced. Have you ever seen te entire steering column need to be replaced with no other issues that a key that suddenly will not turn?

Any guidance/experience would be much appreciated! Thank you.
Timothyoneill

PINPOINT TEST F :  UNABLE TO REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE IGNITION

NOTICE:  Use the Flex Probe Kit for all test connections to prevent damage to the wiring terminals. Do not use standard multi meter probes.

F1  CHECK THE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER

? Refer to Diagnosis and Testing in Section  501 14 and test the ignition lock cylinder.

Is the lock cylinder OK?

Yes GO to F2.

No INSTALL a new ignition lock cylinder. REFER to Section  501 14. TEST the system for normal operation.

F2  ISOLATE THE TRANSMISSION SELECTOR LEVER ASSEMBLY

? Connect:  Ignition Switch C250.
? Disconnect:  Gearshift Lever Unit C3233.
? Attempt to remove the key from the ignition lock cylinder.

Can the key be removed from the ignition?

Yes INSTALL a new transmission selector lever. REFER to Transmission Selector Lever Removal and Installation in Section  307 05. TEST the system for normal
operation.

No GO to F3.

F3  CHECK THE INHIBIT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

? Measure the resistance between gearshift lever unit C3233 2,  circuit 31S TA34 (BK/YE),  harness side and ground.
This is right from the ford manual