MY TRUCK WILL NOT START, GOT A NEW STARTER, AND NOW ALL YOU HEAR IS A CLICKING NOISE. SOME GUY TOLD ME THAT I NEED A NEW FLYWHEEL, IS THAT TRUE?

2002 Ford Explorer • 125,000 miles

My truck just cut off on me like I was out of gas. I tried cutting it back on and it did not work. The next day my battery was dead, so we thought it was my alitunator but it made a clicking noise after we put the battery in. So I got the new starter and its still clicking, some guy said I blew my engine, which is not likely cause there is old in it. Some other guy told me I need a new flywheel. Please help
Ssmith627

Check to make sure the engine turns by hand. Also, check to see if there is power to the smaller wire on the starter (with key in start position). Let me know what you find.

Check the voltage on the battery cable and at the starter wire. The battery and the starter wire should have the same voltage.

Cadieman
The starter seloniod is the problem. Its on the fender and what is clicking. If the voltage isnt the same. Replace the seloniod.

Cadieman
Do you know how much it is for repair? Is it cheaper than replacing the flywheel?

Ssmith627
Replace the starter seloniood

Cadieman
How much is it to replace it?

Ssmith627
20 dollars for the part and you can install. Have someone try and start it and follow the clicking noise to it. The power wire goes from the battery to the seloniod then it goes from the seloniod to the starter. If that is the clicking noise replace it. The small wire sends the start signal from the ingnition switch.U can jump it with a screwdriver to test. Put it on the wire that goes to the starter and touch it to the small wire. If the engine starts turning over the seloniod needs to be replaced.

Cadieman