NOISE AT THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL

2002 Ford Explorer • 43,245 miles

When I drive the vehicle it makes this thumping noise and it sounds like it skips. The faster I go like 20mph or less it makes that noise like thump thump thump. I put it on jack stands and put it on drive it sounds like its coming from the differential pumpkin. What should I do?
Bersyl671

Sounds like there's a problem-Inspect the drive pinion/gear

LET'S LOOK AT THE U-JOINTS 1ST---ALL OF THEM!

LETS GRAB EACH WHEEL, SEE IF IT HAS "SLOP", UP AND DOWN, AND LEFT AND RIGHT (REALLY WORN OUT WHEEL BEARINGS)

CHECK YOUR DIFFERENTIAL JUICE---PULL THE PLUG--IT SHOULD RUN OUT, OR BE ON THE VERGE OF RUNNING OUT

IF NOT, FILL IT UP TILL IT DOES W/ PROPER OIL (SEE OWNERS MANUAL)---NOTE HOW MUCH YOU HAD TO PUT IN, LET US KNOW

YOU CAN GET A PUMP SIMILAR TO MINE TO HELP INSTALL IT W/ OUT MAKIN' A BIG OLE MESS

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT DIFF?--NOT WHEEL OR TIRE NOISE? SWAP REAR TIRES TO THE FRONT, BUT ONE AT A TIME AND DRIVE IT. DO THIS BEFORE MOVING THE OTHER ONE FORWARDBUT ONLY IF YOU ARE NOT SURE. I'M NOT HERE TO WORK YOU TO DEATH!

RESULTS?

FORGOT ONE

SEE HOW YOU ATTEMPT TO FLOP THE U-JOINTS TO LOOK FOR MOTION?

GRAB THE YOKE WHERE IT GOES INTO THE DIFF--PULL/ PUSH, ATTEMPT TO WOBBLE IT AROUND---IT SHOULD DO NOTHING BUT TURN! THERE SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NO SLOP/ WOBBLE/ OR MOVEMENT