DIDNT RUN,SO I TORE THE FRONT OF THE MOTOR APART

2002 Ford Explorer • 147,000 miles

Help! Please. I just got a 2002 explorer with a 4.0l 4x2 that didnt run, so I tore the front of the motor apart to what I thought was a timing chain. The motor is a 2002 4.0l in a explorer and its only 2 wheel drive, its a basic explorer, not a special type model
Jeremy76

If it would not start, did you check to see if it was getting spark and fuel to the engine?

I just got a 2002 explorer with a 4.0l 4x2 that didnt run, so I tore the front of the motor apart to the timing chain which I thought there was only 1 timing chain but found three and the timing chain tension was broke, I have no idea how to set these chains back to the right timing now that I have the new tensioner could someone please tell me how to set these chains right, a picture or a diagram might help me if u have one

Jeremy76
And maybe a explanation to go with it, theres a small chain at the very bottom then a bigger one connected to that one which connects to what I believe is the timing chain to the cam

Jeremy76
I am sorry, I am having trouble with our online manual. If you get a repair manual, it will have where all the timing marks are.

Thanks!

Jeremy76
GOOD ADVICE THERE J&N, A MANUAL IS THE VERY BEST HELP, BESIDES HAVING A FORD TECHNICIAN DOING IT FOR FREE AT YOU OWN HOUSE!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

SOMETHING IN HERE MIGHT BE HELPFUL, BUT DO VERIFY THEIR CORRECTNESS WITH YOUR MANUAL.....THE MANUAL IS THE MOST TRUST-ABLE....THESE ARE MAYBE A "MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO GUIDE" SOMETIMES THEY LEAVE OUT THINGS LIKE TORQUE SPECS IN THE VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ford+explorer+timing+chain+replacement&oq=FORD+EXPLORER+TIMING+&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_l=youtube-reduced.1.0.0l4.10740.22528.0.27709.21.21.0.8.8.0.220.2163.3j5j5.13.0.

DO RETURN WITH POSITIVE RESULTS, WE LIKE TO SEE A HAPPY CUSTOMER!

Thank u cj I dont need the ford mechanic just the specs, the work is the easy part! Gettin the information is the hard part! But I do appropriate the link you provided. Ill check it out

Jeremy76