NO 4WD PARK LIGHTS ON

2002 Ford Explorer • 156,000 miles

Both 4wd lights started flashing, That evening by mistake I left the ignition on and ran the batt down. Charged the batt and drove it, the fuel gage reg 1/2 when full. I unhooked the batt and gage is o-k. No 4wd lights of any kind and no 4wd. While working on this I popped one of the 4wd fuses, replaced the fuse and now the park lights are on. Turn the switch on and off, the park lights stay on until the batt is unhooked. Unhook the batt and the lights are fine until lights are turned on again. Then unhook the bat again to put them out. I have unhooked all the fuses I can find and all the relays and the light switches with no luck. Lights stay on. And I still have no 4wd.
Htc

It may be teh trailer tow relay on the right r"D"pillar junction box, try unhooking that and see if it fixes the light issue. Also fuse 16 in the left junction box under hood is the fuse for lights. For the 4wd scan for codes first. Then see if switch is getting aputting power out. It could be a ground on back of engine not making good contact or a module or the solenoid in the tcase itself.

This Explorer does not have a tow package. However I will look for a relay back there. Fuse 16 does not affect lights [parking] at all. I have scanned for codes, none indicated. The switch is getting power but I don't know about power out yet. I will check all grounds I can find. Thanks, Hank

Htc
If you scanned with a typical auto parts scanner will not pick up anything other than engine codes you need a pro model to scan this.

O-k. I suspected as much. I did find a relay in the rear that did put the lights out. Switched with another relay, the problem is still there. So, I put it all back together, put the fuse block back up under the dash and reconnected all the wiring harnesses and plugs. Still the light problem, no 4wd, and 1/2 the fuse block under the dash has no power. 1 of the five main hot wires coming in has no power on it. Engine cranks, does not run. Its going to the dealer in the AM. Thanks for your time and answers. Hank

Htc
Well you should have been more explicit with your story as it has changed alittle bit, you pprobably have a main fuse or fusible link that is blown giving you only half the power to your fuse block and you said nothing about the fuse block being off or down from it's regular position. Sorry we couldn't help

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I should have been. This has been ongoing as I have worked on it during my posts. Seems like every time I worked on it something else happens. Probably mostly caused by me. Thanks again. Hank

Htc
Ok, I thought I would update this thread in the hopes it would help someone else. I took the Explorer to the dealer and 2 days and 1000.00 dollars later it was fixed. It turns out the parking light problem was traced to a owner [previous] who had installed a jumper wire in the rear wiring harness. It was backfeeding the park light relay. For the no start problem that cropped up while I was working on it, it seems early 02 Explorers are wired for US use and late 02's are possible export models. When I installed all fuses and relays in what the manual calls for for US models it cutoff power to the fuel injectors. As for the 4x4 problem, a new 4x4 control module fixed that. It also fixed 2 check lights that I had never seen. Now the check fuel cap and low wash warning lights work. I have never seen these lights in 5 yrs of owning this Explorer. It also fixed the door ajar warning light, door locks and dome light problems that have been going on for 2 yrs. I just finished a 2200 mile vacation trip with no problems, got 20 mpg. The only problem after all this work was I had no high beam lights. Turns out the mech missed reinstalling the high beam relay. I took care of that. Thanks to all who responded. Htc

Htc