FORD ESCAPE ENGINE PROBLEM

2002 Ford Escape • 112,000 miles

I tried starting my car a few days ago on a rainy day and it barely started up and it began to hesitate which I'm guessing could be the spark plugs/wires for the plugs. When I try to start it the engine begins to crank and I can hear the fuel pump and smell gas. After a few attempts, the car wont crank anymore and there's a winding noise I can hear coming from the center console. My rpm gauge goes all the way up and so does the speedometer and gas gauge and then they go back down to 0. I need help please! Why won't my car start up?
AudishoM

Start by measuring the battery voltage. It should be 12.6 volts. If it's near 12.2 volts, it is discharged. Charge it at a slow rate for an hour. If it's closer to 11 volts it has a shorted cell and must be replaced. You can also get a clue by watching the brightness of he head lights when you try to crank the engine.