HOW TO SET TIMING CHAIN AND CAMSHAFT CORRECTLY

2002 Ford Escape • 144,000 miles

I was recently doing the timing and just realized that the car I was working on I was going by the wrong year the actual year is the one mentioned above 2002. So if someone could please give me the write up of how to do the timing chain and camshafts correctly it would be much appreciated
Apac408

It is the same as I sent you in your previous post

Is it okay because i'm getting confused I know it says mark 1 link as crankshaft and than count 29 links mark as exhaust mark count to 42 mark as intake. The thing about it is what mark do I line it up to do I line it up to the keyway mark or this other timing mark. When I tried to line it up with the keyway one there was more than 29 links to get to the exhaust mark

Apac408
Heres the picture I am going by

Apac408
You have to have the exact amount of links to set the timing correctly. Start over and keep trying to get it right

Okay but as far as the mark to put the crankshaft chain on am I putting on the keyway mark or am I going by the mark on the sprocket

Apac408
Use the mark on the sprocket.

Okay that cleared things up for me big time thank you

Apac408
Okay so today I went to go turn the key to test for compression and nothing no cranking or anything I just put the battery in so it is a freshly charged battery all it does is everything turns off when I go to crank it and than when I stop all the lights and radio come back on theres full power what now is it the theft alarm on it

Apac408
Another thing to add when I connect my scanner to read codes and pull up information it doesn't even read the vehicle it say please turn on ignition key and try again. Does this mean my car computer system isn't working

Apac408
Most likely you have a wiring fault. Recheck all the fuses and ensure the anti-theft is not triggered. If it is, it can cause non-communications.

Page 1 of 3