HOW DOES ONE KNOW IF YOUR FRONT SHOCK MOUNTING NEED REPLACING?

2002 Ford Bantam • 185,000 miles

I have a bakkie that when you drive over any small bumps in the road you can hear a knock on your shocks. Ive had three company check my shocks, they said the shocks are good and cant see any problems which will give that sound. Somebody at my work told me to find out about the mounting on the struts, and if they may cause the knocking sound. But no luck at any shock repair shop can tell me what I need to fix.
Claud hendry ekron

Upper strut mounts commonly cause a knocking if the holes are rusted out but checking them is almost impossible without removing the strut and disassembly it. Worn mounts are usually found during routine strut replacement.

Worn anti-sway bar links and bushings are more common for making noise. We're also seeing more and more control arm bushings than on older cars. There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.