HEAD GASKET

2002 Dodge Ram • V8 2WD Automatic • 211,000 miles

Wife drove truck and cut off, she started back up and went on to destination. Truck sat for a few hours and she started again, drove halfway home and cut off again. She restarted and made it two blocks from house and cut off again. This time no restart and then she calls(I know she says she never seen engine temp go up). So I get there and see no water in reservoir, been thirty min so slowly fill with water and takes a min to get started, rough running and water out the exhaust and a little in oil. Pushed a couple blocks home and tore apart and found blown head gasket and warped heads. Had heads shaved and all new gaskets bought and installed. Put it all back together (with new radiator and water pump and t stat, culprit was leak in radiator.) Any way $1100 later and truck back together, started and ran real good at idle, let it set and get all fluids pumpin (sprayed marvel mystery oil, per grandpap, all over everything and every part as put back together)well sat and then a knock noise began and got louder after about five min. So did a half tear down to get to cam where it sounded like noise was coming from to check to see if machine shop torqued bolts back down after they did head job(forgot to tell they shaved.022 badly warped but no cracks). Did not do valve job due to expense and already broke and they looked excellent no buid up or pitting. Well the torque was off a little and set to specs myself. Set valve cover back on and started again and was better (did both sides). So then all back together and started again, slight noise and let warm up again got louder but not as loud as first time. So now i'm broke and lost without a ride, bought this truck for $4000 in January from a friend and is a beautiful truck and have already put all new suspention and tires on. I think worth fixing but low on cash and not able to get to work to make money. Please give me some advice on what I should have also done and what should do now. Thanks Tony
Tony112174

Anytime you hear s knock, check oil pressure. Rent a gauge at autozone, it enfs up a free rental. Remove oil sender and screw in the gauge. Take readings and post result. I need reading of earm engine at idle and at 2000-3000 rpm.

Merlin2021
If no pressure when cold started do not run the engine. Your oil pump and or main bearings could be worn.

Merlin2021
I am assuming you changed the oil. And filter?

Merlin2021
Yes changed oil and filter and has good pressure. I was told at machine shop who done the work when I called today( by the guy whodone the work and also builds engines for his own race car) that it sounds like the lifters to him

Tony112174
Lifters are the last section to get oil pressure so rum the test.

Merlin2021