I CANNOT FIND THE UPPER HOUSING BOLT FOR THE STARTER

2002 Chrysler Town and Country • 12,700 miles

The lower bolt (15 mm)came out easily enough. It seems like there is no second bolt, and the upper bolt - the only thing I can find is a nut used for a ground which is located by the bell housing bolt (18 mm). I looked at diagrams and it showed three bolts with two on top. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
stephen
Esrwarren

You have to be a contortionist to find the hidden one. You'll need a socket and an extension to get at it. It's there.

Rivermikerat
Ok, so the nut that is being used for the ground is not it and neither is the bell housing bolt. This is a you have to know where it is to find it kind of thing? Have a long and short extension, so will go hunting. But there are only two? Others I have done had three? Thanks for responding so fast

Esrwarren
Also, is this bolt accessible from the top or from the bottom? Again thanks for your help

Esrwarren
I haven't done one on this exact make and model before. But have done them from underneath on Caravans. The first image below is for the 2.4 liter engine. The rest are for the 3.3 and 3.8

Rivermikerat
If you have the little silver Nippendenso starter, it only uses two bolts. It has a locating peg in its third hole. Don't install a used starter. The contacts in the solenoid commonly wear down and can be replaced inexpensively. A used starter is likely to have the same problem.

I apologize for not saying sooner, it is a 3.8 liter engine. I am by no means an expert, but do have some experience with this, but I can only see the one bell housing bolt and the nut used for a ground. Have no choice but to figure this out. The third pic from above looks great, but can't see the bolt. Will be working in the am, but will attack with vigor after work tomorrow. Thank you guys a lot

Esrwarren
My pleasure. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Rivermikerat
Ok. Good news and bad news. I attached a pic of the bolts I finally removed. The one is the ground for the wiring harness! And the upper housing bolt at the same time. Way weird. Bad news is once I got the new starter in, the solenoid connector didn't connect well and I squeezed it together and part of the casing attached to the starter broke off. The van starts but does so roughly due to the bad connection. Any ideas other than putting another starter on?

Esrwarren
You must have washed your hands before taking this picture. My hands have never been that clean after changing a starter on a Mopar product.

That depends on what broke. Is it the mounting tabs that secure the solenoid to the starter? On the solenoid or on the starter? If it's just the solenoid, you can replace the solenoid.

Rivermikerat
LOL. No, I did not wash my hands. What broke was the casing that houses the terminal to which the solenoid connector connects to. It seemed to fit, and just pushed it in and snap, the housing kind of fell apart. I pushed it together and used electric tape (yes that is only a temp fix - wife needs van) the cheaper route is to take it off and get another one? Groan.

Esrwarren