HAVE A POWER STEERING NOISE

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer • 123,000 miles

Noise coming from the power steering pulley, when the engine is running, but when u spray any kind of lube on the belt at the belt when it goes around the pulley it goes away for a short time, 1st I changed the tensioner, idler pulley, even a new belt, but nothing has worked.
Chad73

What kind of noise? Is steering fine? Does noise increase with steering pressure?

Fixitmr
Like a squealing noise, like a slipping belt, steering is fine, the noise gets a little loader when rpm goes up, no steering problems just the noise, when I spray lube on the belt above the tensioner and it goes around the pulley it goes away for a short time until the lube wares off, took belt off and cleaned all pulleys and belt off with breakclean, don't know what else to try

Chad73
At idle does turning wheel increase noise? Does belt tension seem ok? Does belt flow smooth in motion no bouncy tensioner or wheels?

Fixitmr
1st? No it does not increase noise, new tensioner, no bounce it is smooth, the noise will increase a little when rpms goes up to running rpm. I do have a left side sway bar link missing could the flex in the frame make the noise on the right side because of the missing link?

Chad73
I ALWAYS fix anything obvious before I determine reasons for a problem like a noise. Has saved me alot of grief before.

Fixitmr
I got the swaybar links and installed them, still have noise, going to try to see if I can shim the pump pulley to see if that works.

Chad73
I figured it out, I had to shim out the power steering pump, thanks for the info

Chad73