WHAT WOULD CAUSE MY TRUCK TO CRANK, FIRE UP THEN DIE AFTER CHANGING THE BATTERY?

2002 Chevrolet Suburban • 167,000 miles

Truck is running fine I start it up this morning and I notice the doors dont lock when I put it in gear, the fuel gauge isnt working, ses light is on, abs light is on and the battery light is on also. So I take the battery and alternator and have them tested, alternator is fine and the battery has a dead cell in it so.I replace the battery (correct for 2002 burban). Truck starts great, doors lock in gear now, the ses, abs and battery lights are off and the fuel gauge is working. Everything is working normal and truck runs great. Ok here is the problem: about an hour later I go to leave in the truck and I start the engine, its fires up then dies. And that is all it will do now. I turn the key, it cranks great, the engine fires and then dies, fuel pump is working and I have pressure at the rails. Please help!
Lukeroberts

Ok, but what is the pressure? There may be enough to make it start but not enough to keep it running.

Did you try starting with gas pedal slightly depressed?

There seemed to be alot of pressure at the rails as it squirted fuel out all over my hand. I did try to keep it running by slightly pressing the throttle while cranking. I didnt want to do it too much for fear of washing down the cylinders. Crank sensor related? Im guessing it wouldnt even fire if it was bad? Tps? Iac?

Lukeroberts
When it fires up, try feathering the throttle and if you can keep it running that would mean the idle control system is not functioning correctly.
The IAC could be stuck in the closed position and there are restrictions in the air passage due to dirt accumulation.

I've tried feathering the throttle and also held it to the floor, it wont run. It acts like an older Ford with the iac stuck in cold weather. It literally will crank, fire and immediately die. I will check the iac and get back to you. I drove the truck before all this and it crank and ran fine other than the gauges and door locks not functioning right. All this came about after the battery change. It did crank and run great after the battery change, I really dont think its related to the battery change though.

Lukeroberts
The battery change can be the cause because when power to the engine computer is disconneted, it would lose its memory and after reconnecting, the engine computer would need to relearn. Any clogging of idle air passages can result in stalling during idling.

I checked the iac and it is working properly, I took it off and cleaned it also. Im going to sleep on it for a little while (working nights this week). What about the crank sensor? I am also going to check fuel pressure with a gauge during cranking to be sure, but I wont have access to a gauge til tomorrow (sat).

Lukeroberts
Sounds like it's in theft mode. Will consistently run for two seconds and die.

So how doi get it out of theft mode?

Lukeroberts
Is the security light blinking or steady when attempting to start engine?

Page 1 of 2