CHEVY 3.1L ENGINE TICK

2002 Chevrolet Malibu • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 100,000 miles

The engine has been ticking for over a year now. Was told that the lifters were bad so had all 12 replaced along with all new gaskets, bolts oil, filter and antifreeze. The noise is still there. The car runs great otherwise and burns no oil. It does not go away when engine is warm and tick increases with rpm increase. What can it be and what can |I do to correct it. Can any damage occur
Penney5631

Best have your camshaft miked out

What is this supposed to be

Penney5631
That's where the lifters ride on, that opens the valves

What does milking the camshaft involve.

Penney5631
The 3.1L is known for "piston slap". Here's a link to a video - see if it fits the description of your problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3KbJDMlZcc

The creator of the video calls this noise "normal". I'm not sure if I agree with that, but it is very common.

Dan_K
The noise in the video is very similar. The tick is present all the time>How can the rpoblem be curred.

Penney5631
If it is indeed piston slap, there are a couple of options that you could explore. One is replacing the engine. The second involved a lot of tear-down and machine work. However, I would only consider these options if you absolutely cannot live with the noise. Have a reputable mechanic check the car out - including a compression test - if he believes that the car is mechanically reliable, and you can live with the noise, try not to worry about it. There are many 3.1L engines that have been experiencing the same issue.

Dan_K
I have another set of lifters that I getting put in. Is there anything that can be done while at this step of the teardown to see what the problem. If the second set of new lifters does not cure the problem, Can the tick cause any future problem

Penney5631
If it is indeed piston slap, the lifters will not affect the noise. Piston slap will cause premature engine wear - specifically on both the cylinder bores and the pistons. This will eventually lead to oil consumption. With excessive piston ring to cylinder bore clearance, engine oil will enter the combustion chamber and be burned. Engine longetivity will be adversely affected.

Dan_K
Tick has been there for about a year or more now. It still does not burn any oil and other than the tick runs great. If it was piston slap do you think that after a year or so of driving I would have noticed oil consumption or other problems.

Penney5631