TEMPERATURE GAUGE ON HOT AND BELTS BROKE

2002 Cadillac DTS • 132,000 miles

While driving the Cadi DTS, the temperature guage went to Hot and monitor said A/C is Off - this is the first time it's ever done this. I immediately stopped and opened hood and a belt on the drivers side was ripped off and wrapped around a fan and some of the belt was still connected. On the passengar side, coolant was spilling out from underneath the car. A friend looked at the car and said it was some pulley system but he wasn't familiar enough w/Cadillac to know the specifics. Have you heard of this problem or how to fix it?
2xtremefitness

It sounds as if a pulley or accessory has locked up and destroyed the belt. Begin with a visual inspection, and when the car is cool check to see if the pulleys all spin freely.

The overheating condition was obviously caused by the loss of the belt - the water pump was not turning and circulating coolant properly.

Dan_K
When my friend and I went back to the car, we did attempt to turn the pulley. The bigger wheel didn't turn but the smaller wheel did.

2xtremefitness
There are several pulleys. Crank pulley (can't be turned by hand.), Water pump, Alternator, Power Steering Pump, A/C Compressor, idler pulley, tensioner, etc. Can you be more specific?

Dan_K