TAILIGHTS DON'T WORK

2001 Volvo S80 • 143,000 miles

Is there a relay for the tailights?
Tahoe

Tail lights, brake lights or both? Most likely a fuse. Do you have a tow hitch and wiring by any chance? That would be a likely cause if the wires grounded out for the fuse to blow.

ProAutoTech
Brake lights went out and I changed relay, now they work. Fuses are ok, new bulbs put in, no tow hitch. I don't know if relay for tail lights is different and brake lights, diagrams don't show were relay for tail lights is

Tahoe
There shouldn"t be a relay for tail lights since they don't relay, they are just on or off. Why do you think you blew a relay for your brake lights? Did the car get swamped? I would check the headlight switch next. Have a buddy stand behind the car while you mess with the switch, bending, twisting and pulling while not breaking anything. It's good to rule out a slightly loose contact right away. That's the easiest dumb thing I can tell you to do before getting dirty or paying money.

ProAutoTech
Headlight switch meaning the switch on the dashboard (left side of the steering wheel)?

Also- just so I am sure, do you know the exact location number of the fuse for the tail lights (not clear in the diagram)

Tahoe
I meant the switch that makes the headlights, and brake lights, turn on. And, sorry I don't have a number for the fuse. Do you have the cover to give some guidance? Or grab a beer and a nice set of needle nosed plyers and yank every one, one at a time. I'm away from my service books and software right now, sorry.

ProAutoTech