WOBBLES DURING FORWARD ACCELERATION

2001 Volkswagen Jetta • 80,000 miles

I have a 2001 Jetta that wobbles only during FORWARD ACCELERATION. I just had a four wheel alignment and tires balanced. The wobble is much better, but still exists. Could it be a very dirty transmission fluid? Does not do it on coast, reverse, idles okay.

Automatic Trans.
Transmission replaced 2 years ago, wobble was within past 6 months
Progressively worse, Alignment and wheel balance done. Got better but still exists
Newer tires.
Wobble not prominent in steering wheel. Mostly in front end.
Not happening in reverse, coasting, idle
Had long CV axle replaced past year. Not sure why and if problem existed then or not.

I love this site : -)
Stevenpc3

You gonna have to have it checked again-Tires, wheel alignment and suspension

If it was the tires or wheel alignment it would do it during reverse and also be constant at certain speeds. It happens ONLY during acceleration. I push the gas and it happens. I let off the gas pedal and it stops. Thank you for the response though.

Stevenpc3
You sure it not a bent rim

Could be, but wouldn't that always vibrate. I'll figure it out eventually. Thank you.

Stevenpc3
Sounds like motor or trans mount. When the whole motor moves under acceleration it tweaks the entire front end out of whack.

Bigfoot15
Thanks bigfoot15. I haven't checked it yet, but that makes a lot of sense. That would fit the conditions very well. I have now noticed that it is briefly worse right after turning. It decreases at higher speeds. I will have to check mounts, change tires, trans fluid, and the cv joint/axle and check after each. Been busy with school and it hasn't gotten worse or better so.

Stevenpc3
Not wanting to add to your list... but, front control arm bushings
are known to crack with age. When they separate completely, they
allow the control arm to shift... causing the attached wheel
to shift, which can cause a pull / wobble depending on load. Also
a clunk when braking.

Bushing: http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs082.snc3/15008_1317945387677_1202019378_30789225_6694202_n.jpg

Your A4 bushing will be in the same place as the A3 Jetta in the
above links.

Exovcds
If the bushings are bad, go back & slap the alignment guy. Hard to do an alignment without noticing bad bushings & bad wheel bearings, if the mechanic was not blind & stupid he would have told you so he could sell you more services.

Bigfoot15