REPLACING COOLANT FAN CONTROL MODULE ASSY TWICE IN 2 WEEKS

2001 Volkswagen Jetta • 82,000 miles

My AC died on my car in the beginning of August. It was blowing air, but the air was hot, not cold.
I took it in August 8, and after several hours of diagnosis they said I needed to replace the "coolant fan control module assy" [heretofore referred to as Part #1] which cost $282.50 new. When I picked up the car, the AC worked, but it wasn't as frigidly cold as it had been before.

Seventeen days after they fixed it, the AC went again. Same deal--air blowing, but not cold.

They told me this time that one of my 2 fans went. They said when my fan went it shorted out the $282 Part #1 they had just put in. So now I need a $200 fan ($500 new), which only has a one month warranty, and I have to pay to replace Part #1 because it's my car's fault that my fan blew it out. They will send the Part #1 that blew out last week back to VW because it's under warranty, and IF VW decides to reimburse me it will be at least 2 to 3 months. And there's no guarantee they'll reimburse me.

Should I have to pay for Part #1 twice? And shouldn't they have checked the fans to see if that's why Part #1 went out in the first place?
Moga

I think they should have found the reason the module failed the first time. It makes sense to me to look for a cause for the failure

A lot of inputs and outputs on that module. I agree with ASEMaster, they half diagnosed your problem and by doing so they merely put a bandage on it.I.E. If you have a blown fuse you look for something that caused it to blow, not replace the fuse and forget about it.

Vwscott