TOYOTA SIENNA TORQUE PROBLEM

2001 Toyota Sienna • 210 miles

2001 Sienna, just replaced engine, transmission, right drive shaft and motor mount bushing, both front struts and stabilizer links, rotors and calipers. There is now a rattle or clunking when going over bumps. Everything is tight and torqued to spec. I noticed that the left drive shaft has some up and down movement or play as well as in and out of the tranny about a 1/4 inch. The book says a couple of mm but I don't recall if I tested to ensure the shaft locked into plcae or what the play was. I think I shoved it in and moved on. Could there be an issue with that shft or the tranny output bearing with that much play? That is the only thing I can see that would cause the clunking. I did not change the strut mounts. They looked ok and they are not causing the typical clunk when turning the wheel. It is when I go over bumps.
Borrellimd

The clunking rattle sounds like it's coming from the left side. Either the shaft area or maybe the strut, or sway bar links, which are all new. The wheel bearing and ball joint are tight and again this issue is a new noise with this upgrade prioject. I am doubting the play in the trany output because I would expect more of a constant vibration with that type of issue. I have heard of new struts that were bad. But when I bounce it in the drive way it reacts normaly with no noises but I realy can't bounce it as hard as driving over bumps.

Borrellimd
Check the brake calipers. Ensure there are no excessive play in them due to worn slider bolts. Some lubrication might belp.

They are all new and the slide bolts were checked for excess play and to ensure they slid. I changed the old ones out because they were bound up and I did not feel like trying to clean them up. New calipers and mount with slides, new rotors and new pads. It does sound like a strut noise. I am going to go over that installation carefully and maybe pull them out to inspect the mount bearing again.

Borrellimd
We can't help much on noise problems unless we know what is emitting it.

Found the struts were not fully tight on the main nut. I don't know how that happened. Just goes to show that even when you think you 'torqued everything' something may have been overlooked or maybe had a bad thread that torqued right but was loose. Also if it sounds like a strut mount or swaybar link, look close at those parts because it may be something there. Anyway, case closed. Thanks

Borrellimd
For correct torquing it is best to torque to specs, loosen and retorque to ensure parts are seated correctly to get the proper specs.

Nice work.