HOW TO REMOVE THE DRIVE SHAFT FROM THE TRANSAXLE?

2001 Suzuki Liana • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 54,000 miles

Hey Guys,

have a massive problem thats driven me crazy and would love it if someone could shed some light on it. I am no mechanic but pretty good at reading repair manuals and carrying out the work. I am trying to replace my clutch, but can't get my transaxle off completely, I think this is because the drive shaft is still connected and doesn't have room to come off. Everything else is off and I can see the clutch but it's defiantly getting stuck around the drive shaft area. I have attached pictures of images from the repair manual that will show what I am trying to remove. In picture one, it tells me to remove the shaft with my tire tool which I done but am not sure if it should completely come out from the transaxle or if it should only come out slightly? I have only took it out slightly (about a 1 inch or so) as I don't want to yank incase it's not suppose to come off. Really have know idea where to get from here, hope this is enough information to get me a step ahead.

David
Dmacmorris

You need to give it all you got to take it out it will come loose that's the only way same as other types of vehicles-

So I should just use more force till it pops out from the transaxle then?

Thanks for the reply.
David

Dmacmorris
Hey again,

Just had a shot of pulling again but didn't work but I don't know if thats because the transaxle is to far off and when I try to put the transaxle back in place it won't go because I think the alignment is off but can't see. What is the tool and way to remove the shaft? Also do I need to do anything to the drive shaft going into the other side of the transaxle?

Dmacmorris
Also I noticed that there is also a bit of metal with 4 bolts and I rubber seal attached, could this be stopping it from coming out? Cause it looks like it could be or is there not point taken it off?

Cheers
David

Dmacmorris
Has the axle been removed from wheel hub? Ie. Steering knuckle

Docfixit
Hi,

I don't think so I started to take the break apart to get into the drive shaft and I have upload a pic to show what it currently looks like. One of the nuts on the suspension bit is stuck so I thought I would ask for help before cutting it off (its the lower one in the pic) hope this pic does some help and thanks again for the reply guys everything helps.

Cheers
Dave

Dmacmorris
MUST remove from knuckle remove axle nut, then tierod then two bolts at strut. Push axle through hub while pulling down on knuckle. Now axle will come out. Need to do both sides.

Docfixit
OK I have the axle off now and I only had to remove one of the drive shafts for this to happen, I have now also replaced the clutch and looks to be aligned very well as I used a alignment tool but now I can get the transaxle to go back on? Just seems to be getting stuck. I know this the frustration bit but what is the best way to do this?

Dmacmorris
Also should have said above but I have most of the bellhouseing on and bolted but the bottom bolts are really really tight to turn and I don't understand why? Is this just an alignment is or should I just keep going with these really really tight bolts.

Dmacmorris