SATURN SL1 BATTERY PROBLEM

2001 Saturn SL1 • 149,000 miles

2001 Saturn SL1. Temp with wind chill below zero, low on gas, car was parked outside on incline. The door frozen but openable. Had to use de icer on ignition switch, car won't start. Makes a slight muffled click. Battery 2 yr old. Terminals clean and tight. Fuel line freeze? How can I thaw it when unable to get car in sheltered area?
Oglorib

What's clicking?If the starter is inop its not frozen fuel. The first thing I would have tested is the battery if the starter was inop. Do you have a multi meter to do some testing?I know its cold outside but you can ether brave the cold wait for the weather to break. Or have it towed to a shop.

Thanks for the reply saturntech9. I put gas in it and HEET yesterday but this morning it only made a soft hum when the key turned. I am sure there is a meter in my late hubby's stuff but I have no idea where it would be. Along with a trickle charger and a machine he used to use to jump start batteries. Might be in the garage, shop, shed or barn. He was not organized and they may not even work after all these years. I am disabled so am limited to what I can do. Any idea of what it may be now that it only hums when the key turned? Just want to have a heads up if I have to get it towed.

Oglorib
So does the starter work at all meaning turning the engine over normal speed?

Nothing happens at all except the soft hum. It doesn't even try to catch or start and no clicking like I'm familiar hearing with a battery problem. I have limited road service so won't call them until Monday until the repair shop is open.

Oglorib
Do the dash lights come on?Your going to have to start by doing voltage checks with a multi meter. If you cant do that your going to have to take it in. It could be battery starter etc.

I can turn on the headlights, radio, interior lights, heater on high all at the same time without problems. Just seems like there is no power to the engine except for the hum. Was out most of the day running errands on Thursday and had no problems with the car. It has been a good car, haven't had any major problems. I keep it well maintained and change the oil regular. It leaks a little oil so I check it often. It still gives me 32/35 mpg.

Oglorib
Alright like I said ether you can check with me or have it towed somewhere to have looked at. Really only two options we have.

I'll let you know what happens when I call motor club tomorrow. Thank you for all your help. : -)

Oglorib
Your welcome keep me posted.

I am delighted to report that I went out to try to start my car before making the call for the tow truck and it fired up right away. The temp had gone to 25, no wind and the sun was shining so between that and the gas and Heet, it finally thawed out. It started fine again in the morning and have been out with it yesterday and today without any problems. I was very relieved as I do hope to get many more miles in it. Sold my first Saturn with 268000 miles and it ran several more years. Gave the second to my daughter and she sold it with 226000 miles on it. Have driven the Saturns since they came out and have loved them. Sad to know my next will be something else. Again, thanks for all your help. : -)

Oglorib
Page 1 of 2