INTERMITTENT STARTING

2001 Saturn SC2 • FWD Manual •

My 2001 Saturn SC2 has been having problems turning over and starting. This has been occuring more often when it is cold outside. The car has trouble turning over and will only start if I give it some gas to make the rpms go up, otherwise it will stall out.
Mackenziee

Clean out the idle air control valve and EGR valve and see what happens

My take on that if you have to hold your gas pedal to the floor to start it would be a bad coolant temp sensor real common on that car to go bad. Also inspect the connector to it it's corroded then you will have to replace the connector too. The sensor's are only 10 and there screwed into the head right below where the upper radiator hose goes on. When the sensor goes bad they read colder then actual engine temp and cause the engine too flood. When you hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor it goes into clear flood mode shutting off the fuel going into the engine and allows it start.
Hey rasmataz hope you had a happy holiday and have a happy new year.

I did, I hope you did too-you have a great Happy New Year 2011-take care and God Bless-