POSSIBLE GAS LEAK

2001 Saturn L300 • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic •

What could be causing a strong gas smell on a 2001 saturn L 300? I've checked for leaks and changed the fuel filter. What's next?
Rodney Brown, Sr.

Where is the smell coming from front or rear?Lets start there.

Probable causes of an engine running rich are as follows: 1. Fuel pressure not within specs. Can be cause by restricted fuel return line or defective fuel pressure regulator.
2. Defective Oxygen Sensors.
3. Leaking injectors.
4. Coolant temperature sensor out of calibration.
5. Restricted air intake system.

Also does this smell like burned fuel from the engine or raw fuel like a leak somewhere?

The smell is from the rear.

Rodney Brown, Sr.
Ok so you can smell it while the car is off like its leaking fuel somewhere correct?If so the most likely cause on that car I have found repaired fuel leaks is the nipple that comes right off the fuel pump leaking at the top of the gas tank that repair would require removing the gas tank and replacing the whole fuel pump module. Can you see any gas stains from where the gas has run down the side of the tank from above?

Went to repair shop, was told I had a cracked fuel sending unit. Now I need to know how to drop the gas tank.

Rodney Brown, Sr.
The sending unit only is used to register the fuel level you need the fuel pump module which has a cracked leaking fuel line nipple like I was talking about before. When I get home I will post directions on how to drop the tank.

There you go.

Thank you, will post again to give results ! Rodney

Rodney Brown, Sr.
Your welcome have you found a fuel pump module assembly yet?