WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO SOUND LIKE AIR IS LEAKING FROM THE ENGINE IN A PATTERN ABOUT EVER SECOND WHEN IDLING? EX. PSHT, PSHT, PSHT

2001 Pontiac Sunfire • 14,000 miles

With some help I took on the task of replacing the engine cylinder head beacuse the cylinder 2 spark plug shot out of the old cylinder head. After replacing the old cylinder head while following the repair instructions to the "T" the engine runs fine with no loss of power or rough idle. What concerns me is the "psht" sound I described coming from the engine when it is running. The new cylinder head was a remanufactured head and I am afraid it may be defective. Please help.
Cmille82

So sounds like a vacuum leak?You couldnt have installed a thread insert to repair the hole rather then replace the head?

I exchanged the head for a another re manufactured head. It turns out air was leaking around the spark plugs. It was a re manufacturing defect. Now I have a new problem. After another cylinder head install, the engine is ticking. The engine idles fine, accelerates fine, but creates a loud ticking noise. The ticking increases with acceleration and sometimes is not present until the car engine warms up. Have any ideas on the new problem.

Cmille82
Is the noise coming from under the valve cover?

I think so. It is really hard to tell. I had two mechanics tell me it sounds like a rocker arm but couldn't be certain.

Cmille82
'NOTHER GUY

DID YOU REMOVE, LABEL, AND RE-INSTALL ALL OF THE LITTLE GOODIES BACK IN PLACE, EXACTLY AS THEY CAME OUT. TO INCLUDE PUSH RODS, ETC, ORIENTED IN THE DIRECTION THEY CAME OUT?

. OR DID WE JUST SORTA PILE EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND ASSUME ONE PART WAS EXACTLY LIKE ANOTHER AND INTERCHANGEABLE?

Yes I took every thing out and assembled the rods into the same place. Although since these are not adjustable it shouldn't matter.

Cmille82
Get a long screw driver and see what see where the noise is coming from. You can put it up to your ear and touch different parts of the engine.