PONTIAC SUNFIRE ENGINE PROBLEM

2001 Pontiac Sunfire • 235,000 miles

Hi Guys,
I just nursed my wifes car home from the side of the road. It died out of the blue and will not start at idle. It will not run unless i'm halfway into the gas pedal (about 2000 rpm) and is making a loud ticking noise or noises from the valve cover. The plugs and plug wires are less than a month old. I though fuel filter until I heard the valvetrain noise. I tried pulling plug wires but its hard to tell because it is difficult to keep a constant rpm. It does sound like cylinders 1 and 4 made no difference when I pulled the wires though. No blue smoke from the exhaust and no coolant in the oil from what I can tell. The oil does smell very strong of gasoline. I will check spark and fuel pressure tomorrow, but I'm thinking skipped timing. What do you think? Anything else that fits the bill? Also, how big of a job is replacing the belt on the 2.2L if that turns out to be the problem?
I have no problem with making a donation for your time and expertise.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Engine has chain so may have skiped but not likely. Could be a lifter or pushrod issue. Remove valve cover and check or check engine compression. Checking spark and fuel pressure good idea. Check engine light on?

Docfixit
I did a compression check today. 3 of the cylinders were good good and consistent but the end cylinder (passenger side) showed absolutely no pressure being held. The needle on the guage did not move at all. I pulled the valve cover and everything appears to be normal, no obvious damage to springs or push rods and valve movement seems normal. The check engine light is on but it has been on for years. Would a blown head gasket cause these problems? I'm not sure what I should be looking at next.

ChrisD74