SHOULD I FIX OR GET RID OF THE CAR?

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix • 186,000 miles

I have a 2001 Grand Prix GTP with 186,000. Km on it. The transmission just went. The catalytic converter is new as well as the head gasket a few months ago. Quoted $2900. For re-built tranny or $1800. For used with probably more km on it than mine. Can't afford a newer vehicle at this time but was wondering should I put a used in or get rid of it? I'm only asking because the km are so low. Thanks so much, Barb
Barbjackson

That sounds like an awful high price on a rebuild. I'd check around a few trans shops as you migh tget a rebuild about same price as junkyard. Normally with a used one form a junkyard they are lower mileage from wrecks. It's up to you if you decide to get rid of it. If it's in fairly good shape then get the used one, it's cheaper than a new car. But age will have other things start to crop up.