PONTIAC GRAND PRIX FUSE PROBLEM

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix • 160,000 miles

I just bought this car as a first car for my daughter. The car did not come with any keyless remote entry transmitters. I bought some and upon trying to program the transmitters, the car did not respond. I have done a bit of online searching and attempted to locate the keyless remote entry receiver, but it does not appear to be behind the driver infomation center. Some of my reading sounds like the receiver could be located somewhere else but I am not sure how to find it. I am attempting to determine if the receiver exists on this car, or if it was not equipped originally for keyless remote entry. Where else should I look for the receiver? If there is no receiver, is it possible to add it to a car that was not originally equipped with one?
MCHinson

IMPORTANT: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock transmitter (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to four transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Close all of the doors.
Remove the MALL PGM fuse from the fuse block.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
Turn the ignition to ACC. The body control module (BCM) will perform the following in order to identify the type of BCM installed in the vehicle: Flash the seat belt indicator 1, 2, or 3 times.
Chime 1, 2, or 3 times.
Turn the ignition to OFF, and then back to ACC within 1 second. The BCM may begin to chime and flash diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). If the BCM has stored any DTCs, refer to Diagnostic System Check - Body Control Module. See: Body and Frame Body Control Systems Body Control Module Testing and Inspection
Open and then close any vehicle door. The BCM will chime in order to confirm that the programming mode has been entered.
Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for approximately 14 seconds.
IMPORTANT: After approximately 7 seconds the BCM will chime once to confirm that synchronization has been completed. After approximately 14 seconds the BCM will chime a second time to confirm that the programming has been completed.

Repeat the previous step in order to program each additional transmitter.
Install the MALL PGM fuse into the fuse block.
Operate the tunctions of each transmitter in order to verify correct system operation.

I have used that same procedure to attempt to program the remotes. Everything seems to work just fine up to the following point, "After approximately 7 seconds the BCM will chime once to confirm that synchronization has been completed. After approximately 14 seconds the BCM will chime a second time to confirm that the programming has been completed." The BCM does not chime at 7 seconds or 14 seconds, and the remotes will not work. From my reading, I suspect that the keyless entry receiver is either non-functional, or else the car was not equipped with that option originally. I checked behind the drivers information center and did not find the receiver there. In some of my online reading, it appears that the receiver is sometimes mounted in the vicinity of the passenger side airbag. I am reluctant to look in that area without some better understanding on exactly how to safely find the receiver. Apparently, the receiver does not work, or is missing, or else there is a BCM problem.

My question is still, Where else should I look for the receiver? If there is no receiver, is it possible to add it to a car that was not originally equipped with one?

MCHinson