ENGINE SHUTS OFF, POWER DOESN'T

2001 Pontiac Grand Am

My friend has an automatic Pontiac Grand Am, not sure of the year (somewhere in the early 2000's). Her problem is, when she parks, she can turn the engine off, but not the power. It takes a few minutes of repositioning the car to get it to shut off completely. What is causing this and is there a temporary solution while she accumulates money to have it fixed?
G72

So the engine goes off and not the? Also what is she repositioning to make it go off?

Ok, the engine shuts off. But the power is still on and the key won't come out of the ignition. It's not a case of turning it too far to where you only have the power on in the car, it's not shutting off completely when the key is turning to where it is supposed to. She tries reparking the car, trying a straighter angle and having the steering wheel level. It works, the key shuts the car off completely though it's obviously just something that she happened to try that worked.

I've read a lot about the problem. I keep reading shifter assembly problem or ignition problem. It's a '97 Grand Am by the way

G72
Which car is it, the grand prix you listed or a grand am?

They said its a 1997 grand am. So if she plays with the shifter and shifter button will the key turn off?