IS MY TRANSMISSION SHOT OR SEMI EASY FIX?

2001 Mitsubishi Diamante • 145,000 miles

I have a 01 diamante v6 around 145k miles. I got in it and started it and it runs fine, but put it into any gear and nothing. It wasn't having problems before. The shift cable and linkage is good. Fluid was high so I drained some. Still same problem. I don't know much about newer cars so I have no idea where to start. Check engine light is on too. Any ideas? Is the tranny shot?
Joey8705

Either a converter failure, or a front pump failure. It will require removal and re build

I was afraid of that? So how can I tell if its the torque converter or the front pump?

Joey8705
You cant. A trans shop can by doing a pressure test to see if the pump is working.

Either way, it is internal work and an overhaul will be needed

Since the MIL is indicating, get a scan to retrieve the trouble codes. It could be something related but usually control trouble codes would result in trans going into limp mode whereby the trans would be lock in 3rd gear. Is reverse not working as well?

The most common failure for Mitsubishi trans with such symptoms is a bad torque converter.

I start it up it runs fine shift into any gear and no movement at all.

Joey8705
The torque converter is the likely suspect. Check the transmission fluid level and if it is too low, same as if the torque converter is bad. If level checks out good, the trans would need to come out.

Ok I checked it when this all started and it was very high. So I drOnes a bunch around 4-5 quarts. And get it down to the proper level.

Joey8705
That means not fluid level problem so it would be the trans itself or torque converter.

Well I'm actually going to school for diesel and were on transmission, and torque converters. My biggest problem is money which being a single dad of 2 working full time and school full time. I don't make much, so I guess the only thing I can do is scrap the car. I can't afford to fix it. But thanks guys for you help.

Joey8705
You're welcome and too bad you need to scrap it.