I HAVE WHEN THE CAR IS COLD IT SHIFTS INTO GEAR AFTER IT WARMS UP IT DISENGAGES BUT I TURN THE CAR OFF AND ON AGAIN RIGHT AWAY AND SHIFTS INTO GEAR AGAIN.CAN IT BE THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL?

2001 Mercury Cougar • 163,000 miles

I HAVE 2001 COUGAR WHEN THE CAR IS COLD IT SHIFTS INTO GEAR AFTER IT WARMS UP IT DISENGAGES BUT I TURN THE CAR OFF AND ON AGAIN RIGHT AWAY AND SHIFTS INTO GEAR AGAIN.
MY GARAGE

That sounds like an electronics problem.
Go have the trouble codes pulled. Any Advance Auto or Auto Zone will do this for free.

Have the transmission range sensor checked

I HAVE A CODE READER NO CODES FOUND

MY GARAGE
You may have a problem with the torque converter. You should take it to a tranmission repair facility, don't go to AAMCO as they overcharge, but do go to a transmission facility as standard repair shops don't have the necassary tools to test and fix automatic transmissions. As ras said, the scanner may not pick up the range sensor if it requires a special scanner or a higher quality one or at least the experience of someone who deals with automatic transmsissions. They are not easy to work on and the experience of someone who knows them wqell is necassary as well.