LINCOLN TOWN CAR 12 VOLT PROBLEM

2001 Lincoln Town Car • 190,000 miles

I recently switched out my radio and on accident I wired the ignition wire to the battery wire and now car wont start. What could be reasons and how could I test to make sure I dont just put tons of cash into parts I dont need
Captcrackers

Both wires get 12 volts, but at different times so there should be no damaged components. What you may have done though is fed that 12 volts from one circuit to the other one, and the memory circuit is normally a relatively low-current circuit but it would try to feed the higher-current ignition circuit. Most likely all you did was blow the memory fuse. That is usually not listed as that because it taps off some other circuit that is always live. The typical circuits used are the interior lights, horn, or cigarette lighter, and most of the time that memory fuse will be inside the car. Regardless, check the fuses inside and under the hood.

Would that memory stop the car from starting all my lights and everything works battery was tested and is fine I loooked at all the ignition fuses and they are fine I get a click when I try to turn the car over but nothing more and checked the fuel shut off in back and with the new radio the ignition wire from the stock harness has no wire to connect to it my car is a 2001 lincoln town car executive series and the radio I installed is a kenwood kdc something

Captcrackers
Clicks can be confusing since numerous other relays and circuits will be turning on and off. To find out exactly what's happening, use a test light to measure the voltage on the larger cable on the starter solenoid. You'll find 12 volts there. What happens when a helper tries to crank the engine? If that voltage disappears, there's a bad connection somewhere in that cable, typically at a mechanical connecting point like the battery or right there on the solenoid.

If that voltage stays solid during the attempted cranking, measure on the smaller terminal next to it. 12 volts should appear there only when the ignition switch is turned to "crank". If no voltage appears there, we have to go back to the starter relay to take some readings.