BROKEN GAS GAUGE

2001 Kia Sportage

My 2001 Kia Sportage gas gauge is broken, how do I fix it? Im tired of not knowing when I need to fill up.
Nyeshajaz01

It could be the sending unit, meter cluster or wiring problem.

You need to test the system to know what is wrong. Does the low fuel indicator light work?

No the temp. Gauge and the speedometer work but that's it.I think if could be the sending unit but Im going to get it tested.

Nyeshajaz01
Very seldom we have both gauge and low fuel warning indicator failing together. It could be due to a fault with the wiring such as loose or contaminated connector terminals.

Here are procedures on accessing the fuel sending unit wire terminals.

Open rear access door of vehicle.
Release rear seat catch and tilt seat out of way.
Pull up carpet which covers fuel pump assembly access panel.
Disconnect electrical connector.
Check connectors for contamination or looseness.
Turn ignition switch ON.
Ground the Blue wire momentarily and note if fuel gauge moves. When gauge needle has reach the top, remove the ground wire. DO NOT keep the gauge needle at maximum for extended periods as it can damage the gauge. If gauge needle moves, there is no problem with the wiring between gauge and sending unit.

Repeat procedure by grounding the Green wire ( it sgould be the smaller of the 2 Green wires if you are not able to distinguish between fuel pump and low fuel warning. Low fuel warning should come on if the wiring circuit is good.

Replace sending unit if both above test are good. The fuel pump is attached to the sending unit.