KIA CARNIVAL ENGINE PROBLEM

2001 Kia Carnival • 120,000 miles

Hi Guys,
My Australian Carnival (KV-5 engine / auto gearbox) has developed an irregular idle miss when in 'D' and 'R'. When stopped at a red light it may take 10-15 seconds for the first miss, then the time between misses gets shorter. It doesnt get to the point where it wants to stall, its more a hiccup. When taking off, the engine has a slight hesitation.

Also, a few weeks back, I went to drive into a carpark when the accelerator became unresponsive, no amount of pedal would make it move. The engine RPM also dropped from the ususal 850ish down to 2-300, it was rough and stuttery. I turned off / on again, this seemed to correct the problem, but I am suspecting this incident is probably the cause of my miss.

In both circumstances, there is no CEL, I havent checked to see if a code has been thrown.

I thought it might be a faulty TPS but from what ive read, this would throw a code and the CEL?

Any info from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest starting with the basics. Check the spark plugs and wires, which I believe are the cause of the problem.