OIL PRESSURE SENSOR

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 141,000 miles

I just changed the oil pressure sensor and my check gage light still comes on. All fluids are topped off and have been. I don't know what else to do. I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Heeeeelp!
Aashai1

What brand and weight oil are you using?

Wrenchtech
Valvoline 5W30 Conventional Motor Oil

Aashai1
You might try going to a 10W30 in a different brand. Some brands just don't work in some situations. It's worth a try before diving into the engine. Before any major work, like an oil pump is considered you need to verify these pressures using a mechanical gauge.

Wrenchtech
Ok, should I put it right in or drain the current oil?

Aashai1
NO no, just do another oil change.

Wrenchtech
I will change the oil. But, you should know that the oil gage is good until the motor heats up, then the needle lays on zero and the chime rings each time I release the gas pedal. Also, my last oil change was on 4/13/2011, and now I discover the oil is dirty. Is this affecting the gauge, and should I continue with your suggestion?

Aashai1
Some oils break down under heat more than others.

Wrenchtech
Definitely do the mechanical gauge thing!

This is the only way to know stuff for sure!

NEW STUFF CAN BE BAD TOO, Been there-Done That. Lots of times, makes you spend unnecessary time chasing a ghost!---Maybe same with the OEM gauge, wiring, etc

You can run a mechanical gauge set up, like mine, out of the hood, and into your window. Then drive normal, see if it acts the same as yours. Even when hot. Mechanical eliminates any electrical factors out of the equation!

The plastic tube and fittings are from a auto parts store--you can get a gauge there too (mine is from a plumbing supply house, 0-100 PSI), even if it's for under dash mounting, it'll still work! You might even want to mount it permanent later.

Keep us informed

The Medic

Mechanical gauge sounds effective unfortunately it's a little too tech for me(amateur). I'll explore the suggested oil change first, then the mechanical gauge, if that doesn't work out. Will keep you informed.

Aashai1