GC LIMITED TRANSMISSION TROUBLES

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee • V8 AWD Automatic • 148 miles

Hello I have a 2001 jeep grand cherokee limited. Awd. Yesterday I had it in the shop to get a power steering hose replaced and decided to have a transmission service as preventative maitenence bc my jeep has 148k. I have had no previous signs of transmission trouble, no hard shifting, or anything. Today after picking up my car and driving less than 40 miles, my transmission starting acting crazy. Hard downshifting and revving to 4000 rpms while slowing to turn. Then I pulled over and stopped. Put the car in park then back to drive. It revved to 4500 rpms then kicked in gear. I drove another 5 miles or so and as I was going up a small hill at low speed probably 5miles per hour the jeep revved like it was in neutral but it was in drive. I was in the middle of the road and could go forward. It rolled all the way back down the hill backwards while I was still in drive. What could have happened? Could something have been done wrong during the service or am I just that unlucky. Is the transmission shot completely?

any help would be greatly apprecitated!
Kcb33

You mean I'm not the only one with that kind of luck?

First of all, head back to the shop that did the flush and give them the chance to see what they did. It sounds like the fluid level might be low. Some machines are designed to put in exactly the amount of new fluid as the amount of old stuff that came out. If some leaked out while the mechanic was connecting the hoses, the fluid, in effect, would have appeared to be low when he started so the machine wouldn't have put enough in. They are supposed to check the level and add if necessary before they give the vehicle back to you but that step might have gotten overlooked.

I forgot to add the car will not move. Is that possible with just low fluid? Transmission light come on as it was rolling back down the hill.

Kcb33
Absolutely. Pressurized transmission fluid presses on the pistons in the clutch packs to apply them for the different gears. If the pump sucks up air instead of fluid, air compresses and won't apply the clutches or make the various shift valves move.

There could also be a leaking hose connection causing the low fluid, if that's indeed the problem. You would see a trail of fluid on the ground and most likely a puddle where it is parked.