WHICH BEARING IS MAKING NOISE FROM MY TRANSMISSION?

2001 Honda Civic • 160,000 miles

I just replaced my entire clutch, pressure plate and release bearing because I had a noise coming from the transmission. After I replaced all this the noise is still there. The noise happens when the car is in neutral with the car on obviously but when I push in the clutch it goes away. It also makes noise when in gear with the clutch engaged(pedal up) but as soon as I push in the clutch to shift it goes away until I bring the pedal back up. Now I know the release beaing is supposed to only make noise when you push the clutch pedal down and is supposed to go away when you let go of the clutch but I keep hearing from people that that its the throw out bearing which would be the opposite of what actually is happening. Keep in mind I had an 05 Civic as well and had the same exact noise and I replaced the release bearing and the pilot bearing and the noise went away which tells me it wasnt the Input Shaft Bearing. Please help. Im so confused as to when each bearing makes noise. I already put the transmission back on and now I'm mad that I might have to take it all out again.

Edweezy21

You would definitely have to take the transmission out again to have the bearings checked, replaced.

This should be from the internal and most likely the input shaft bearing is bad. The transmision has to be stripped to do it and while you are there, have other bearings checked as well, if they are not bad, they might be failing as well.

I just did that the other day Khlow same symptom and its the front drive main gear bearing on a Nissan P/U 5speedo

Nissan P/U are well known for this. Done plenty of them and the going price for owners are rather costly.

This is the problem I keep getting. Everyone keeps telling me something different. I dont have the money to replace every single bearing that I think it is. The Release bearing was already replaced but that doesnt always mean its good just because its new.

Edweezy21
We have given our opinion based on information you have provided. To believe or not is your choice.

You yourself understand how the clutch release bearing works and described in detail why it is not the problem, why are you contradicting yourself now?

Its costly allright-make money though, didn't lift a finger being the brainman-lol all I did is say drop it check the clutch assy-okay open the front cover bearing cage was almost gone-end of troubleshoot-1995 Nissan P/U Bye you take care Malay

Same to you Jess, my work is done here as well.

If members don't know hot to do something, we can help, if they don't have money, too bad it is beyond our capabilities.

Well in your opinion what should I do then? Replace the Input Shaft Bearing. I'm not excatly sure what the front drive main bearing is. Sorry if that came out the wrong way. I didn't mean to offend you guys. I just keep hearing replace the pilot bearing and replace the release bearing and replace this and that and no one is ever sure.

Edweezy21
And when you said check other bearings, which bearings exactly?

Edweezy21
Honda does not use any pilot bearings.

The mainshaft and countershaft has bearings supporting them and they turn when the clutch is not depressed. Those are the bearings you need to look at.

Page 1 of 2